Panchakarma is a Sanskrit word that means “five actions” or “five treatments”. These are:
1) NASYAM – A process wherein the drug is administered through nostrils. Nose is the gateway to the head. This therapy is highly effective in curing a no. of diseases pertaining to head & neck.
2) VAMANA – Toxins( excess of kapha) accumulated in the body & Respiratory tract are effectively removed by this process. It is a medicated emesis therapy. People with high imbalance of kapha are given this type of treatment. It loosens & mobilises the toxins, in an effort to eliminate them from body. This therapy is highly effective in curing a no. of diseases pertaining to respiratory tract, skin disorders etc..
3) VIRECHANA – Its a medicated purgative therapy, It helps in cleansing the excess Pitta dosa & purifies blood by clearing the toxins from the body. This therapy is highly effective in Gastric complaints, Lumbago, Sexual disorders, Arthritis, Rheumatism etc..
4) VASTI – Concentrates on elimination of loosened Vata dosa out through rectum. The treatment involves introduction of medicinal substances such as herbal oils & decoctions in liquid medium into rectum of patient. This is because Vata is predominantly located in colon & bones. This therapy is highly effective in Vata disorders, Sexual disorders, Pelvic diseases, Sciatic complaints, Arthritis etc..
5) RAKTAMOKSHA – Blood-letting process by Leeching, Venepuncture, Pricking skin with horn etc… Performed to eliminate the toxins from blood stream. It entails the refinement of blood. Administered to treat disorders pertaining to skin such as Psoriasis, Urticaria, Rash, Eczema, Leucoderma etc. Effective in Varicosity & its complications etc..