There are various types of kizhi, which are called by different names according to the medicaments used in it. They include;
1. Patra potala swedam (ila kizhi): Here kizhi is prepared using different leaves of medicinal plants and herbs along with medicated powders. Its dipped in hot medicated oil and applied to the body or affected area. The ingredients seep through the bag and penetrate deep into the body to result in an intensive heating and therapeutic treatment.
- Relieves pain and stiffness in joints and muscular spasm
- Promotes better circulation
- Reduces inflammation
- Tones the skin
- Improves mobility and flexibility
2. Shashtika pinda swedam (njavara kizhi): shashtika is njavara. Since the pinda/ kizhi is prepared using shashtika its called shashtika pinda swedam. In this procedure medicated oil is liberally applied over the patients body followed by a massage with the bags filled with njavara rice boiled in milk and medicated decoctions.
- Its a rejuvenative treatment & promotes anti-ageing
- Strengthens tissues
- Improves blood circulation
- Beneficial in various neuro muscular disorders and degenerative muscle diseases
- Parkinson’s disease
- Diabetic neuropathy
- Inter vertebral disc prolapse
- Rheumatoid arthritis
3. Podi kizhi: Podi kizhi is the ayurvedic technique of fomentation in which cotton bag filled with a hot mixture of herbal powders are used.
- Increases peripheral blood supply
- It relieves body ache and strengthens muscles and skin
- It helps to improving complexion of skin
- Reduces the inflammations
- Relieves pain ,numbness and swelling
- Stimulate the nerve endings
- Muscular pain
- Paralysis and other neurological disorders
4. Kukkudanda swedam/Muttakizhi: Muttakizhi is the one of the ayurvedic treatment in which boiled egg yolks and medicated herbs are used and applied to the body after dipping in medicated oils.
- Improves the strength of the muscles
- As a pain reliever in condition like slip disc,sciatica
- Act as anti-ageing therapy
- Improves skin complexion
- Reduces chronic back ache
- Muscle pain
- Sport injuries